Well, it has been 6 months since my marathon, how am I doing?? Not good. My first Marathon was May 18th and it was the best day of my running career. After my marathon I took 6 days off and went for a run on May 24th, 3 miles and paced 10:10m/mi. I ran at least twice a week from that day forward, working on some sprints and really trying to get that sub 30 5k, that would be my next goal. June 21 was my last run until July 6th which was not very good, on July 9th all I could do was walk...... What is going on? My right ankle behind my ankle bone on the outside hurts, and to step down or even walk is difficult, do I have an injury? It can't be an injury because I am strong and I have never had an injury. I took a week off and then ran a 5K in Lincoln on July 20th, running was horrible and in the 5k photo I was walking with my head down.
I took a month off from running on that day and waited. The kettle-bell and I got close and I found it nice to get my heart rate up. In August I saw my doctor and took another month off from running, with an occasional "cheat" of a mile or two. I saw Dr Darcy a podiatrist on Sept 18th, he put me in a walking cast "my boot" for 4 weeks. That weekend I had a 5k the insane inflatables race that was already paid for so I took the boot off and ran it. It was mostly a walk run with my sister and it was very fun!!!! After that weekend the boot would be on and I was ready to heal that foot!!! Dr Darcy said that is was peroneal tendonitis with a possible tear but with the price of a MRI we would treat it the same so I picked to wear the boot. I went for a follow up after 5 weeks in the boot and the ankle was still hurting, what the heck!!! why why why. This time we would try steriod injections, that was on Oct 21st and I was instructed to wear the boot at all times except to sleep. I was very compliant and wore the boot. On November 10th I went back to Dr Darcy and the ankle felt good!! I got a brace to wear while the strength comes back in my foot after being in the cast for 8 weeks. How does it feel now? Well to be honest, not good. The pain in my ankle is back. I have not run since Sept 20th. No big deal right? Well to be honest it is a big deal, my running has been my therapy since 2010, my time to pray and my time to feel. In my no running period I lost my Dad and I'll tell you that the no running thing has about killed me. My emotions are on edge at all times. My weight is up at least 7 lbs. even with using the exercise bike (I bike 5 miles every night)
I want to run again and I want to run now. I am happy that I ran the marathon and I would do it again if I could :) I will wait another month without running, if the pain is still there it will be time for a MRI and lets hope that surgery is not needed.
The leaves on the trees changed color without me running in the beauty, the air cooled without the coolness felt on my cheeks with the smell of woodsmoke in the air, the sunset in the fall without me running into it. Let's see if I can get out and feel the snowflakes sting my face.
A runner not able to run, is like a bird unable to fly.
No comments:
Post a Comment