Sunday, April 13, 2014

No turning back after running 18 miles!

Wow, I've completed 13 weeks of marathon training!  It seems weird that all of a sudden I was like "I'm going to do it!" Got talking with Stephanie then the next thing we know we are 13 weeks in!  I booked our room and signed up for the Marathon this week, no turning back now.  Our last long run was last Sunday so getting the runs in during the week seems tough when we are planning the next long one on Saturday.  Nolan had baseball Tuesday night so I decided I would run in Levant again.  It was a very foggy night but spring was in the air.  My senses were in full gear, the sounds of birds, water running through culverts and the smell of pine, wow!  It was 2 down and 2 back with 1 in the parking lot.  A great 5 miles for Tuesday.  I did not run again until Saturday.  Saturday I was up by 0530, I had my coffee half of bagel with peanut butter with half banana.  I was at Stephs by 630.  I almost got pulled over as I drove by the anglers restaurant, driving 65, he followed me for about 6 miles, by the time I got to Stephs I had to pee so I went in for a second then we were on the road by 640.  I wore capris with a long sleeve top and a sun visor, Steph planted the drinks before I came which saved us great time.  We chatted the whole time!  First 3 miles were great except Stephs iPod died.  We ate at 2.5 miles our Gatorade chews and drank every 3 miles.  No music but we talked and talked about everything and anything just to talk.  At about mile 10 we talked about how we were actually doing it!  But really in all honestly our personalities would never allow quiting.  My right ankle was sore but tolerable, the bases of my feet felt fine after my mini pedi the other night.  Energy was fine, breathing seemed labored but there was no music so it might have been more noticeable going unplugged.  Our last water break was at mile 15, energy was good but stiffness when we stopped and started up again, we were able to shake it off.  We decided that if we stop to walk there is a very good chance the legs would seize up like the end of our 16 so we kept moving.  The last mile was uphill and a big uphill!! I was hot, energy was there but knowing it was the end I wanted to stop. I thought of all "my people" and fought through the last mile.  18 miles done in 3 hours 29 minutes!!!!! The last 0.25 walk to the house our legs seized up, walking was a chore, and it hurt.  It is going to be so important that we do not stop and walk for any length of time after mile 15 or the seizing will happen.  I felt very sore and tired all evening, my legs ached and sitting to watch TV was not comfortable, my legs felt jumpy.  I slept so good and today the day after my 18 miles, my legs feel strong, only minimally sore in my quads and knees.  My right ankle a little sore but I'm being very careful and not sitting criss cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment